The much awaited change is coming to Wikipedia. A new look and feel and more importantly a new editing toolbar.
List of Changes
- Navigation: improved navigation for reading and editing pages. Now, the tabs at the top of each page more clearly define whether you are viewing the page or discussion page, and whether you are reading or editing a page.
- Editing toolbar improvements: reorganized editing toolbar to make it easier to use. Now, formatting pages is simpler and more intuitive.
- Link wizard: an easy-to-use tool to add links to other wiki pages as well as links to external sites.
- Search improvements: improved search suggestions to get you to the page you are looking for more quickly.
- Other new features: a table wizard to make creating tables easier and a find and replace feature to simplify page editing.
In the FAQ section they say
When knowledgeable people cannot participate in editing Wikipedia because they find it too confusing or difficult to edit articles, it is a serious problem that undermines the potential quality, breadth and depth of the content that we can offer to you.
It also says this is just a beginning to the set of additional changes that are still under testing phase. You can see all those changes on the prototype site. The Wikipedia Usability Initiative is coming to MediaWiki as well. That means all those who were using MediaWiki for there Wikis can also create better wikis.